Recommended Anthropomorphics List
Open for submissions
Contacts & Links
Nominations for 2022
Voting for 2022
Open March 1 31
ALAA's Choice Award
ALAA Hall of Fame
Articles & Interviews
Logo by Foxenawolf
Fur Your Consideration.....
(March 19, 2023)
This twenty-third annual Recommended Anthropomorphics List has two purposes. Firstly, for furry fans to recommend what they consider to be the best anthropomorphic movies, TV series, novels, artwork, games, music, etc. that they found first published during 2023. The List is open to all, so if you know of anything Furry that you consider worth recommending, please send your recommendations to:
The ALAA reserves the right to exclude from the Recommended Anthropomorphics List, and from contention for an Ursa Major Award, any works it deems to be obscene, libelous, illegal, or otherwise detrimental to the integrity and good standing of the Ursa Major Awards and the anthropomorphics fandom that those awards represent.
All recommendations for 2023 must be received by midnight PST, January 12, 2023.
It would be greatly appreciated if you are able to provide weblinks to your recommendations so that we can correctly add them to the list.
The second purpose is to serve as a guide to which items were produced in 2023, to help fans determine what is eligible to nominate for the year's Ursa Major Awards (to be voted upon in 2024). Note: Recommendation of items to this list does not constitute nomination for the awards, nor is it a requirement for nomination! Nominations may not be made until January 2024 - check the Nominations page for instructions.
The dividing line in size between Novel and Short Fiction is 40,000 words.
The "General Literary Work" category is for any literary work that does not fit into the existing written categories, including but not limited to such things as short story and comic strip collections, and graphic novels.
"Visual Art" includes single illustrations or other pictures, sculptures, and whatever visual art that does not fit the other categories.
What is Furry Music? Music written by furries? Music about the fandom? Music about a furry environment? All of the above and more - you tell us!
Recommended Anthropomorphic Miscellany is not matched by a similar category in the Ursa Major Awards. Recommended Miscellany is for those items like the Realm of the Claw action figures that appeared awhile back, or the Cthulhu plush dolls that do not fit into any of the existing categories, but are too good to be ignored.
Fursuit performances qualify under "Dramatic Short Work or Series", preferably in recorded form, or as performances which will be repeated.
Fursuit is an Award category with special requirements. Due to the difficulties with administering this category, we will have to ask for extra information and other requirements to accept them into this category. To submit them to the Recommended List we require ALL of the following:
- Fursuit name
- Fursuit's maker
- Fursuit's owner/player (if not the maker)
- Good quality photograph taken during the eligible year (2022 at present) with permission to publish it if it is not already available on line.
- Date photograph taken
- Venue at which the photograph was taken. Due to the resumption of conventions and furmeets, we prefer photos taken at these events. However, we will still consider online presentations this year.
If all details are correctly supplied, the fursuit will be eligible for an Ursa Major Award for that year only. ALL fursuits are eligible for the Recommended List and as a candidate for an Award for ONE YEAR ONLY. When Award nominations are opened in January, all nominees for the Fursuit category must be chosen from those on the Recommended List for the eligible year. The Ursa Major Award will be given to the fursuit maker, not the wearer/performer. Photographs will be published on this website for consideration by the public. You must have the rights to that photo and grant us permission to show it. NOTE: An Award will only be presented if there are sufficient recommendations to proceed with it.
This Recommended List is posted at https://ursamajorawards.org/. This website includes links to as many as possible of the recommended items that have their own entries on the Internet; so if you want to know more about any of them, you can go right to its site.
Recommended Lists for previous years:
2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
# # #
Recommendations for 2023
[Live-action or animated feature-length movies.]
[one-shots, advertisements or short videos also specific episodes of series.]
- Lee's Detective Agency: A Day in Lungmen (Produced by Gravity Well - episodes 3 to current)
[Written works of 40,000 words or more. Serialized novels qualify only for the year that the final chapter is published.]
[Stories less than 40,000 words, poetry and other short written works.]
- On the Difference Between AI Cats and Actual Cats: A Love Story, by Daniel Lowd and Mary E. Lowd. (Deep Sky Anchor - February)
- Clever Hansel 2020 by Mary E. Lowd, (Deep Sky Anchor - March)
- The Dragon's Mask, by Mary E. Lowd. (Deep Sky Anchor - January)
- Too Many Jangleberries, by Mary E. Lowd (The Lorelei Signal - January)
[Story collections, comic collections, convention program books and the like.]
[Includes comic books and serialized online stories.]
- Dragon Curse, by Halocam. (Webtoons - #111 to current)
- Odaiment, by Acir Gomes. (Blogspot - Oda #7 to current)
- Skinchange (a Hayven Celestia Story), by Rick Griffin, colors by Qualzar. (Rick Griffin Studios - page 29 to current)
- Trakkar by Acer Gomez. (Internet - March to current)
- Ventura City Drifters, by sonokido. (Tapas or Webtoons - Chapter 11 20-22 to current)
[For newspaper-style strips, including those with ongoing arcs.]
(Note - The Belfry and The Webcomics List contain links to a wide variety of on-line comics including many anthropomorphic ones.)
- Dream Job, by Em Hoover. (The Nib - January 19) Mature Audiences.
[Illustrations for books, magazines, convention program books, cover art for such, online art, T-shirt art, coffee table portfolios.]
- AnimalShapesArt - voices in the trees - Twitter - March 15.
- CaelestisHound - Money for Nothing - Twitter - March 17.
- MylaFox - Myla - Twitter - March 4.
- Squiddy - Market Haul - Twitter - February 22
- Squiddy - The Record Store - Twitter - February 10
- Celebration at St. Matthew's Home, by Furry Loser - album - March 1
- Currents, by Gojii - album - January 6.
- Fox Boy, by WHSPRS - single - February 12
- Pent Up Pup, by Pent Up Pup - album - February 3. Mature Audiences.
- Vestigial, by Daniel Lowd and Mary E. Lowd - single - March, 2023.
[Edited collections of creative and/or informational works by various people, professional or amateur, published in print or online in written, pictorial or audio-visual form.]
- Deep Sky Anchor, edited by Mary E. Lowd. (Internet - January 2023 to current)
[Online collections of art, stories, and other creative and/or informational works. Includes galleries, story archives, directories, blogs, and personal sites.]
[Computer or console games, role-playing games, board games. No prereleases, just the finished version.]
- Celebrating Bubble Tea (Developer/Publisher: Google - January 29)
- Roxanne Wolf, also
Twitter - February 3
- Kaylee the Coyote
Maker: Cascade Creatures
Owner/Wearer: Kaylee Coyote (presumably - please correct me if I'm wrong)
Twitter, January 31
- Nita the Dutch Angel Dragon
Maker: Coyote Arcade
Debuted at Gateway Furmeet, Twitter, March 11